Sunday, March 24, 2024

Shepherds Hut stove build 1

Stove Build. 

My retirement project is building a shepherds hut, but before I get started on the main event. I am putting together a small stove from Bridport Foundry. They cast the main parts and you are left to do the drilling and fitting together of the various bits.  Airfix for adults really.  These are the parts:



The first job is to drill holes in the side pieces of the main stove.  I needed to buy Cobalt drill for this as my normal metal drills would not touch cast, and I burnt out two trying.  Live and learn.




 
These need to line up with the floor plate.  Easier said than done.  The plate that make up the four sides of the fire need quite a bit of grinding and thinning of metal to fit properly. but after a lot of work the four side fitted flush at the top.



This is important to get right or the tope of the stove will not seal properly.

Chimney Cowl.

The next bit I worked on was the chimney Cowl, which needed a rebate ground into it so it would slide into the back of the stove.


 

    You can see the amount I have ground off on the flat edge at the bottom of the picture. I have struggled to find something that will grind into the corners of the stove.  My 5 inch angle grinder is a bit unwieldly, so I tried a Dremel but only burnt through milling bits.  I have now bought a multi tool and hopefully that will enable me to get into the corners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment