Sunday, April 19, 2020

Gas cylinder forge

Gas cylinder forge.


After acquiring an old gas cylinder, I burnt of the remaining gas took the top out and filled with water. This ensures no gas is left in the cylinder, quite important if you value your limbs! I then cut a hole in the top.


The next job will be to cut a hole in the top to take the lance. In the third picture you can just make it out on the top of the cylinder.  I had to drill small holes around and then cut with a small dremmel disk as I didn't have a big enough drill.  Below is the lance and the fitting which came from Devil Forge, by way of Amazon.


A fiddly job next; putting the ceramic wool on the inside of the cylinder.  I had to be careful with this stuff as its fibers get in your lungs, so full mask and gloves on for this job.  I then applied a hardener to stiffen up the blanket.  This came in a gallon tub and I just painted it on and then to dry for a week.


Next was a layer of refractory clay, this came in a large bucket, with enough clay to do about four of these. or maybe a pizza oven!  This took an age to dry and in the end I had to bring it into the house and put it next to a radiator.  The lance was fitted through and I ensured that the end of it was clear.


Almost finished the legs welded on to stabilise it.  Below is a video of its first light up.  Some blistering in the refractory clay. But it got really hot very quickly.



I think I will add a door to the front to keep heat in but all in all quite pleased with the result.







No comments:

Post a Comment