Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making a ferret carrying box


Building a ferret carrying box.


I tend to make solid things, 30 years ago I made a ferret box, its big, heavy and uncomfortable to carry, so when my daughter needed her own ferret box, I was determined to make her 'a really good one'. Surfing the net I found super pictures of ferret boxes, some better than others but very few instructions or plans for making your own. Plenty on ebay for a price. I eventually found a rough plan and adapted this to build my daughters carry box.

The Box finished up 15'' Long, 9'' in depth and 7.5'' in height. It had two compartments, and doors opening on the top. It also had a bow back which is supposed to make it more comfortable to carry.

The bow back I was assured from website reading can be achieved by using 3mm Ply. Do not buy ply it will not bend and will break! So much for websites. The following pictures show the development of the carry box. It did end up light and it is nice to carry.

The main construction uses 9mm exterior ply board which is glued and nailed at joints. The bow back was formed using thin tongue and groove (I used pine cladding) which gave the necessary give to form the bow.

First picture is of the top and bottom cut out using a jig saw, bow is 3'' deep at the middle point.


The picture below shows the various components laid out, it does also show the 3mm ply shortly to become fire wood when I tried to force it to bend.

I cut two small doors in the top of the board and attached hinges and fasteners.  I used the jig saw slowly lowering the blade onto the ply which then will cut through without having to make the usual pilot hole.


Last photo is of the completed box being tested by one of my ferrets.

 I am quite pleased with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment